Traveller's tales

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Letter from Sudan # 2

- 2 -

I had a lovely time in Khartoum this Christmas with Mary and Adrian, we spent most of our time in the Sudan Club, which is run by English people for the Brits in Sudan. It has a full size snooker table, a swimming pool, video, TV and a nice restaurant with several nicely furnished bars, but unfortunately, no alcoholic beverages.

We spent Christmas Day and Boxing Day lounging by the pool, drinking ice cold Pepsi Cola, which made it as different a Christmas as I’ve ever spent in my life. I think you’ll agree, won’t you?

We didn’t have the Christmas dinner at 75 Sudanese pounds a head, firstly because we couldn’t really afford it and secondly because we were just too late to book it beforehand anyway. Instead, we had steak and kidney pie, green beans, and boiled potatoes, which for us was every bit as good and very well cooked.

After our few days in Khartoum, which, incidentally, had come to look more like a Western capital to us after spending months in our small, provincial towns and villages. When we first arrived, I think we all felt disappointed with the capital, but on our second visit, we were more impressed. I think it showed just how much we had acclimatized to our surroundings.

After we left the capital and returned to Wad Medani, a hundred and odd miles south, I set out for the village of Soriba, the home of my good friend and colleague, Salah. While he is teaching at school, he lives with the other Sudanese teachers in the big house next to my little one-roomed house. I was made welcome in Soriba and met all Salah’s family and friends, and stayed there two days before returning home to Messelemiya.

Next weekend, I am expecting Jennie and Michael from El Hosh. It’s their turn to come to me, and I always look forward to their visits as well as to visiting them at their home. We always laugh a lot and tell each other funny stories about the things that have happened to us since our last meeting.

I always enjoy writing to you as it crystallizes my thoughts regarding my time here, and that makes me put a lot of things into perspective. I’ll say cheerio for now. Take care of yourself and keep warm by the fire.
Robert

Visit My Website